The ecosystem of 2Ether will include a decentralized exchange, 2EtherEx. How are decentralized exchanges – DEX – different from traditional centralized exchanges? Are they really better? What issues do they face? We'll tell you all about it a series of posts. This time, we'll look at centralized exchanges – why they have nothing to do with real decentralization and what risks they pose.submitted by 2Ether to u/2Ether [link] [comments]
Big exchanges like Coinbase and Huobi allow you to trade in decentralized crypto assets, but they themselves are completely centralized. This is for three reasons:
1) All transactions are processed off-chain and recorded in the exchange's own database. All those thousands of trades made every day on Coinbase, for example, are never recorded on the blockchain.
2) Client funds are stored in a centralized way. When you deposit money on an exchange, it goes into the main wallet of the exchange. It's huge – there are millions of dollars' worth of crypto there. If you send money from your blockchain wallet, then this – and only this – operation is recorded on the blockchain. After this, the centralized exchange assigns you credit of sorts – it puts as much crypto on your individual account as you put in the main wallet. At the end of trading, when you want to withdraw your profits, you sort of exchange those credits for the real crypto, which gets sent to your wallet. This transaction is also recorded on the blockchain. But everything in between has nothing to do with decentralization.
3) The exchange management is centralized – it's in the hands of a few people. They can become very powerful, and their decisions influence what happens to your funds. For example, Changpeng Zhao, the CEO of Binance, has such weight in the industry that he doesn't even comment on the potential of any coins. On the other hand, illegal actions taken by exchange executives can have terrible consequences. When the CEO of the Canadian exchange Quadriga was found dead in India, it turned out that almost $100 million were missing from the accounts. This money will probably never be found.
Centralization of exchanges has several more risks:
- Easy target for hackers. We've all heard about massive thefts from exchanges – sometimes up to $500 million. Since all the funds are stored together, exchanges' wallets are among the most attractive things to hack, so criminals keep trying.
- Arbitrary actions. An exchange can suddenly close operations in a certain country, introduce an obligatory KYC, or delist an asset.
So if centralized exchanges are so risky, why do most traders use them? The reason is that they have some very serious advantages, too. We'll look at those advantages in our next post.
Web site — https://2ether.com/ Twitter — https://twitter.com/2Ether_ Discord — https://discord.gg/TuqG4py Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/2Ethe Reddit — https://www.reddit.com/use2Ether Medium — https://medium.com/@2ether Teletype — https://teletype.in/@2ether Telegram — https://t.me/ether2support Telegram chat — https://t.me/blockchain_2ether
|Rate (per day)||2.10||12.57|
Generated with BBoe's Subreddit Stats (Donate)
Disgraced Crypto Exchange QuadrigaCX Accidentally Sent Nearly $400,000 to Dead CEO’s Bitcoin Wallet. By: Joseph Young No Comments ; Published: 2 years ago → Headlines, Markets News & Opinions; Deciding to use BCH doesn't mean you have to sell your BTC. Source: Shutterstock. On February 12, Ernst and Young (EY), the monitor of the QuadrigaCX case, released its first report with the ... The cryptocurrency exchange QuadrigaCX owes its customers $250 million in Canadian dollars. Unfortunately, the exchange can't access any of the funds because its leader is dead and no one knows ... SINGAPORE – The CEO of a virtual currency exchange was found dead in her home in Singapore. A police spokesman said Thursday that initial investigations indicated there was no suspicion of ... Crypto CEO dies with the password to unlock $200+ million of customers' Bitcoin . Xeni Jardin 12:01 pm Mon Feb 4, 2019 "After Gerry’s death, Quadriga’s inventory of cryptocurrency has become ... American Bitcoin exchange CEO found dead in her Singapore home after suspected suicide at age 28. Autumn Radtke, 28, was discovered on February 28
[index]          
VeChain's CEO just went live to discuss the stolen VET. Bitcoin's next move will set the tone for 2020! QuadrigaCX Exchange CEO's body to be exhumed. THIS critical support level MUST HOLD for Bitcoin. They were active in the development of bitcoin up until December 2010. On a P2P Foundation profile, Nakamoto claimed to be a man living in Japan, born on 5 April 1975. About a month ago, on January 26, QuadrigaCX (a Canadian crypto exchange with clients around the world) suspended operations. Seven weeks prior, their CEO passed away suddenly and unexpectedly ... FACEBOOK is DEAD! And MINDS.COM has taken over! E100 - Bill Ottman and MINDS.COM Bill Ottman An American Internet entrepreneur and freedom of information act... Meet Serge Vasylchuk CEO of Codex, hear his story, how he got into blockchain and how he is trying to bring more value through his crypto exchange Codex #WIN $100 BCH ATTENTION YOU MUST Follow ...